Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Don Carlo

Yesterday, on a whim, I got a ticket from NYU to go to Don Carlo, an opera by Giuseppe Verdi AKA Joe Green (Thanks, Mr. Gaylor). I met up with Taylor, Lindsay, Rob, and Michel at Resto-U to get some dinner before. Somehow I ended up with a Tuna pizza (gag). 6:25 rolled around. With a curtain call at 7:00, I started to get anxious. I CANNOT be late, especially to a performance. Everyone mocked me the entire trip to the opera house. But you know what? We were late. We had to stand in the back for 20 minutes during the first act.

I have to admit, I was a bit creeped out by the first act. The stage was set with only one detail: a sunken cross in the center filled with candles. Ever now and then, between actions, a group of monks would start singing, medieval style. It was creepy. But I stayed, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was beautiful. The end was a bit ... frustrating, but what are you going to do? You win some, you lose some, right? I got a ticket for Patrick, because he had expressed an interest in NYU's free tickets. We were amongst the few who stayed for the entire performance.

Afterwards, we scoured the streets to find a restaurant where he could get something to eat and I could get a glass of wine. No such luck! We ended up finding a brasserie that was closing up and snagged a glass of wine and a beer. Thoroughly enjoyable. Patrick is a really cool guy, and I'm so happy that I've had the opportunity to meet him.

May I also say that the sun is amazing? It makes me so happy that we have had several consecutive days of sunlight now. Just lovely!

Well, on that note, I'm going to head to buy a book for a midterm that I have on monday. I was supposed to have bought this book at the beginning of the semester. Woops! I'm a senior. What do you want?

À bientôt,
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment