Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Grad Class? Pass.

Yesterday I had my first grad class.

I am not sure if I have been more frustrated in my life! Yes, the prof was great and the class seemed interesting enough, but there were three problems standing in my way: 1) the class (French Perspectives on Multi-Cultural Education) is targeted at French Education masters students, thus they all have a knowledge base that I just don't have; 2) the prof spoke very very fast; 3) the prof used way too many colloquialisms; 4) the prof said "Quoi" at the end of the sentence. I understand that this last item is very popular amongst the French in spoken language, but it makes it really hard for me to understand what they are saying.

I was pretty frustrated. I wanted to sit down in a corner and cry. As many of you know, I like to talk to people on the subway. I think it's a lot of fun. But the French don't seem to be as fond of this pastime. Anywho, after class, while waiting for the subway, a girl started talking to me. But I think my ears and brain had given up on French because I didn't understand a thing she said. Sigh. So I went to McDonald's for a wee bit of comfort food. And again, I could not communicate with or understand the cashier. Three strikes, and you're out!

Patrick and I exchanged a few e-mails and I elected to speak to the head of NYU in Paris today to weigh my options. Being the head and all, she wasn't free until 5:30. So following my tour at the Louvre, I sat around NYU waiting for my meeting. What fun! But, I joke. I actually had fun times with people in the Salon.

During our meeting, Caroline was super helpful, and is going to throw her support behind a class on contemporary french art as a replacement for my grad class. Hopefully New York likes the idea, because I think it sounds great!

Well, there goes another poorly written blog post. Must go do some homeworks.

-Dave

3 comments:

  1. Hey Dave, I knew you would work it out - hang in there!

    XOXO,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the blog, mon ami! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. whatever. i look forward to reading of your adventures everyday. glad you got into a less stressful class. study abroad is supposed to = fun!

    hugs and kisses (hahaha)

    ReplyDelete