Tuesday, February 2, 2010

First Day of Classes

Monday was the first day of classes, well, real classes. I woke up yesterday morning thanks to the sun beating on my window. I opened the blinds so I could see the sky and the sun, grabbed my computer and got back in bed. I looked back outside a few minutes later, and to my surprise, it was blizzard-ing! Near white-out conditions with snowflakes measuring 2 - 3 inches in diameter. Craziness! Ten minutes later, it was sunny again.

Northern European weather is weird. I remember when I was in Berlin for a week two years ago, I experienced the same kind of crazy weather!

Anywho, after eating my petit déjeuner (breakfast), I headed to the métro. Seeing as it was the first of the month yesterday, I needed to refill my NaviGo métro card for the coming month. The automated machines don't like me though. Or, rather, they don't like my credit cards. So I had to cross Porte Maillot to go to the other end of my station to talk to a real attendant. 56,60€. I have found that prices in France tend to be strange amounts like this.

My first class, Museums & Monuments, seems interesting enough. I am having trouble reading the professor. When she speaks, she seems old. Yet, she doesn't look old. It's very strange. While she was waiting for the computer to load so she could load her Power Point, she commented on how the Windows XP symbol falls into the Baroque/Rococo family. It was funny.

Then came the pause. I got a croque monsieur for lunch and went walking with Lindsay, speaking only in French. Patrick said that if I want to improve my French, I really need to commit myself to living a Francophone life.

Class 2: Contemporary France. Three hours. Driest professor ever. I had to poke Taylor to keep him from falling asleep. Words can't describe this class. I asked ridiculous questions just so I would be engaged and wouldn't fall asleep myself.

I stopped by Monoprix with Taylor, came home, ran to BNP to get my rent money, paid my rent, ate my dinner, and went to beddy-by. Now, I am getting ready to head to class with Patrick (WOOO!). It looks like it's going to be a grey/rainy day. Very original.

-Dave

1 comment:

  1. First impressions of classes can be off sometimes. Hopefully your 2nd class will improve. :)

    ReplyDelete