Sunday, January 31, 2010

Le Roi Soleil

Quel weekend! Ok, time to recount, day-by-day.

Friday: Wow, Friday seems so distant now... Ahh, I know where to start: Friday was the last day of the preliminary. After we were let out, I met Taylor and Lindsay's super cool friends (Alex, Morgan, & Hannah), all of whom were visiting from NYU in London. That night, a very LARGE group of us went to Duplex. After nearly passing out from being so hot, Lindsay, Hannah, and I retired to Lindsay's apartment. All I wanted to do was go to my bed. But I had left my things at Lindsay's and the métro had stopped running for the night.

Saturday: I woke up at 5:15 AM, caught the métro back home and threw myself in my bed. So satisfying. Somewhere around 10:30, I woke up, looked out side and ... GASP ... there was SUN! I showered, ran to the boulangerie to get a baguette, and navigated my way to the Luxembourg Gardens. The gardens were absolutely beautiful, despite the cold air and intermittent snow. I left the 6th, and headed up to Montmartre, where I met up with Taylor and his crew to be touristy at Sacre Cœur.

Alex and Morgan (Taylor's friends) had never been to Paris before. So afterwards, we métro-ed to Notre-Dame and wound are way through the Ile Saint Louis towards the Marais district. Our first stop in the Marais was an HSBC so Taylor could get out money. The machine ate his card. Womp Womp. Ellipsis ellipsis ellipsis. We met up with Lindsay, who cooked us a lovely dinner and just hung out at here apartment for the evening.

Sunday: Taylor and crew met me at the RER station right by me to head off to Versailles. On the train, I was literally twitching I was so excited! Words can not summarize how I feel about that place.

It was beautiful. We walked ALOT. My feet hurt. I talked to a 65-year-old man at lunch about his three loves: women, cars, and cigars. Came home and laid in bed.

While at Versailles, I found a DVD for which I have been looking for about three years now. Le Roi Danse is the story of Lully and his relationship with Louis XIV and Molière, and how Louis XIV used ballet and music to add to his power. Gorgeous movie. It's sort of like Marie Antoinette, in that the main draws for me are the aesthetics and the stories of the ancien régime. So, if you don't like Marie Antoinette, chances are you will not like Le Roi Danse. Anywhosies, while laying in bed recovering from our journeys today, I watched this movie. So good. Now I am blogging, and then I will start getting ready for bed. Class starts tomorrow. Woo?

-Dave

Gold gates at Versailles



Alex and Taylor playing Diana & Stag



Versailles version of barbed wire?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a busy weekend. This morning I met Mommy and Sue at McDonalds in Mifflintown. Top that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kate - what's the issue with MdDonalds in Mifflintown? Au mon dieu!!!

    ReplyDelete