Saturday, January 23, 2010

Total and complete blog failure

It has been ... 2, maybe 3 days now since I posted. I need to be more committed if this is actually going to work out. Let's rewind:

Thursday:
I woke up at my normal time, but elected to take the RER (Réseau Express Régional) which is basically the Parisian version of an express train. I had two problems though: 1) I had to cross Porte Maillot to get to the train station, which takes a LONG time, and 2) the RER trains run less frequently. So, with the time spent walking to the station and waiting for the train, the actual commute time comes out to be essentially the same.

After class, I ventured to Lindsay's apartment. Wow. That's all I have to say. Afterwards, we went and were super touristy in the Louvre courtyard. Fun fun. This is a picture of Lindsay "holding" one of I.M. Pei's pyramids.

A bunch of us signed up to go to an opera called The Fairy Queen, which is based off of A Midsummer Night's Dream. I must say that I was super impressed with the production! It really was great. The music was beautiful (very Baroque), there was dancing, the sets were exciting, the costumes were fantastic. Overall, A+.

Before hand, some of us met up to get some din-din, so we wouldn't starve in the theater. We wandered for a while, but everything was super expensive thanks to the great locale. We finally ended up at a place called "Un Ami de George" or something like that. I was a bit skeptical going in: it wasn't the nicest place. While the waiter was reading us the menu (there was no actual menu, just a chalkboard), I was giving directions to Georgina on how to get to us from the Métro. Thus, I didn't hear any of the menu. So when it came to be my turn to order, I told him that I wanted him to pick something, and that's what I would have.

He brought out what essentially looked like a French potpie. He sat it down, cut open the top, and inside was a stew-soup thing. That's when I asked "What is this exactly?" - it was turkey and 3 fish stew. Sounds pretty gross, right? NOPE! It was delicious! Everyone really enjoyed their meals, although a little too much. We were almost late for the opera. I got home at 1 AM, and just fell into bed.
Friday:
Class again. Afterwards, my new friend Cait (pronounced Cot, its Gaelic) and I went on a walking tour at the Opéra Garnier. For those that have seen Sophia Coppola's Marie Antoinette, the Opéra Garnier is where the big 80's ball takes place. (One problem though: the Opéra Garnier is about 100 years after said party).

Anywho, it was gorgeous. Absolutely enchanting. It definitely put me in the mood for theater. This is a picture of the main staircase, a place to see and be seen.

Last night, I was absolutely exhausted. But I hauled myself out of bed, and went to a party's at Rob's apartment in the 17th, near Porte de Clichy. It was a nice place, although, very different from mine. I would venture to say that the building was built in the 1960s and that his apartment hadn't changed since the early 1980s. Someone summed it up by stating that it looked like "Miami Beach, Golden Girls." I'm glad I went, I had a good time. Somewhere around 12:45, I got really tired, and decided it was time to leave. When I got home, I was so happy to get in bed.

Saturday: Who knows what today holds?

No comments:

Post a Comment