Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Breakfast, AKA Le Petit Déjeuner

Last semester, if I would eat breakfast at all, I would eat a quick yogurt and have a glass of orange juice, or I would grab a bag of chips and a bottle of pepsi from Duane Reade on my way to work. This past week, I've been looking forward to breakfast every night! Tea, OJ, and a combo of either yogurt, cereal, and a croissant. I find it strange/interesting. What changed? Perhaps I'm just super susceptible to the energy given off by a city, i.e. the emotions and values of my neighbors.


In New York, everyone is always "go,go,go" and everything is always really intense. Whereas here, things seem a bit more relaxed (as clearly evidenced by my phone situation). I guess I noticed this difference for the first time yesterday during my rush hour commute: At the 77th St stop for the 6 train, the entrance, stairs, and platform were always PACKED. When entering riders hear a train approaching, they run to the platform and try their hardest to squeeze on. On the train, everyone has on their iPod, which is usually blasting either rap, house, or reggaeton. When the conductor comes over the intercom to let the passengers know that the train is being delayed, you feel everyone sigh and shrug their shoulders.


On the other hand, yesterday morning, I was walking down a crowded corridor and there was clearly a train approaching. But no one ran. People continued to walk quickly, but no one ran. Once the train arrived, we all packed ourselves in. It was just as crowded as a New York morning train, but it didn't feel as uncomfortable. NYU has repeatedly told us that Parisians have a different sense of personal space than Americans, but I didn't really understand it until yesterday. People did not try to spread themselves out to make themselves more comfortable. Everyone seemed happy in there cramped little nook.


Then the conductor came on and told us the train would be delayed because of a sick passenger at La Défense. No reaction. Everyone just kept doing what they had been doing, which, by the way, included very few iPods. I'm sure I stood out, tapping my foot, clearly impatient and annoyed.


I'm not saying either approach is right or wrong. It is just very interesting to experience these differences first-hand.


Well, I need to do my dishes, make my bed, and head off to school!


À bientôt,
Dave

1 comment:

  1. nothing says "Healthy" like chips and pepsi...

    ReplyDelete