Thursday, February 18, 2010

In fact, Not broken!

After a series of very frustrating days with my faux-stutter, I decided to talk to someone.

For those who don't know, when I was little I suffered from a stutter. My parents sent me to an oral pathologist which solved that problem. However, in its wake, I developed a different problem: when I am in a place with a lot of people talking or a lot of activity, I am unable to speak. It's not that I am scared or intimidated, I am just physically unable to make the sounds that I want to make. It's as if there is a temporary disconnect between my brain and my mouth. It is really unpleasant and very frustrating. Imagine being unable to communicate or express yourself in a language that you are quite capable in. It's a problem for both English and French.

For example, while Luke was here, we were at a Starbucks. It was jam packed. Luke's order came up, and I wanted to say "C'est à moi, je suis Luke." Instead my mouth and tongue froze and nothing came out. Blah. A few days ago at Monoprix, the cashier asked me to pull the ribbon to close her line, but I had trouble understanding her. I wanted to ask her to repeat, but once again, no sound. She looked at me like I had two heads, then asked the woman in front of me to do it instead.

Anywhosies, I decided to consult Patrick, my language professor. I remember him talking about how different lobes of the brain function while learning a language, so I figured he would be a good resource. I emailed him tuesday night with the intention of speaking to him in class today.

I woke up today feeling pretty defeated, so I decided to wear my purple paisley tie to cheer myself up. That didn't really work. Finally, after Patrick finished class at 4:00, we had our meeting. I explained my problem, what I thought the cause was, and frustrating it is to have an issue that no one can relate to. As it turns out, he has a similar problem. He suggested that, in fact, it's not a real problem, but rather a small nuance that a obsess over and develop into a problem. That is to say, I make myself think it's more of a problem than it actually is.

I explained why: when describing the problem to other people, no one understands what I am saying and they have no first hand experience. Wouldn't you feel like you had a problem if no one else has the same frustrating experience? Patrick suggested that I am just hyper-sensitive to the problems and missteps that I make, and consequently, I notice things that other people don't.

He also suggested that it might be linked to my control-freak-ness: I cannot let go, I cannot "just go for it." Once again, a problem that he suffers from.

Another hypothesis: I might be a wee bit agoraphobic. I was pretty much shocked and appalled when he said this. Me? Agoraphobic? Never. But then I thought about it. I feel like if "homebody" were translated into scientific jargon it would be "acute agoraphobia."

Well, now this a little too vain, a little too narcissistic. I'm starting to sound like a certain hypochondriac. So let's stop that!

On Wednesday, I went to several galleries with my Contemporary Art Scene class. At one gallery we saw this very interesting sculptures created with fine threads hanging from a grid. On the threads are miniscule objects. The effect: when you stand far enough away, it becomes a static solid object. However, the subjects were a bit ... uncomfortable. Each of the sculptures featured taxidermic animals. For example, there was a squirrel surrounded by a giant cube of fruit flies. Yum!

Tomorrow, I am getting up nice and early to go to the Museum of Immigration for my super thrilling Contemporary France Class. The plus side: this replaces class on monday! Sweet.

Well, with that, this stutterer is going to sign off.

À..à..à..à b..b..b..bient..t..t..tôt!
-Dave

3 comments:

  1. Hey Dave - I'm glad you talked with Patrick. It sounds like you're doing better with it. Why don't you try my suggestion? We'll Skype over the week-end. How about Saturday morning (USA time)? XOXO, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we're always more judgmental of ourselves than others are. I would try to not think about it, and if it happens to just go with the flow. What happens, happens.
    Or maybe you've had a hex put on you for going to Starbucks in Paris...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, Dave, I know exactly what you're talking about. Big crowds, strangers, foreign languages all do me in. I'm still working on the big crowds (and big crowds of strangers), but I'm making progress with the foreign languages. Just don't think too much and don't hesitate! Speak right when something pops into your head before the control-freak kicks in. I've found that if I just go for it, just walk into a store and start talking before my head gets the best of me, I actually get by fairly well - and that's the biggest confidence booster you can ask for.

    ReplyDelete